February 16, 2017

First Post!

Hello world! Welcome to my blog, A Modern Equestrian! Where a girl is just trying to figure out who she is and decided to share it with the world! Exciting right?

I guess I'll start like everyone else does... My name is Alexis and I am a student at Michigan State University studying Animal Science with an additional major in Journalism.

I have a passion for all things horses and my love of talking has led me down this path to combine two complete opposites and then attempt to get a job with them (crazy right?!?). Well, I plan on doing it! So everyone that just scrunched up their nose and said this girl is crazy, you are the people I plan to prove wrong.

Having grown up on a farm, and more specifically a horse boarding business, made cleaning out stalls, scrubbing water tanks, and breaking up ice in the dead of winter, something that I didn't really want to do for the rest of my life (I said "13 years is enough for me!") I love training horses, but as we all know the body gets old and hopping on that two year old and just saying "what the heck!" doesn't always work out so swell when you're aging, which is why all the young ones in the barn are mine and the elders of the barn are my moms (not that you're old mom, but it's just a good example). Being a vet was the plan at first, but once I saw Organic Chemistry Two on the requirements list I said "well, that was a good plan while it lasted." So now I'm here... Somewhat lost, but not completely.

I plan on training horses and having a small farm on the side for my night job. Another main reason why I don't want to work directly with horses is because I want to be able to enjoy my own horses. I started at Colorado State University and when I was out there going through a lot of personal issues this crossed my mind. The idea of going to work, working with horses all day, and having to come home to work some more just isn't something I want to do. My horses have alway been my happy place and I don't want to take that away.

This tiny issue is why I want to work in a position where I can be the link between society and the industry, which is why combining Animal Science and Journalism is the plan that has been chosen. So that's just a small insight into my little hectic life and I know along this journey I will surely be sharing more.

I would love to hear from y'all about your plans or what you are doing! I'm really excited to get this started to use as a professional development and a personal release. Maybe I'm secretly using this as my diary?? No, but honestly I am very excited and I hope that my experiences, hardships, mistakes, lessons-learned-the-hardway, good times, bad times, personal trial and errors, and all the other good stuff that life puts us through, will help someone figure out who they want to be and realize that if you want to be involved with the equine industry, it doesn't just mean you are limited to three options. So I hope you all got a little sense of me and if there is anything specific you would like to know let me know! I would love to hear from you all!



1 comment:

  1. ������������������

    ReplyDelete