February 21, 2017

Lessons Learned

Hello all! Sorry I haven't wrote in a few days it was the weekend and it's the great week of exams here, which is never fun...

Through my lifetime I have been blessed to ride many horses and I have learned from each and everyone of them. Some times they teach me a different lesson that the horse before and other times it's a little kick in the butt to remind me what I should already know.

I started out as most. Getting riding lessons on lesson horses that were used to little kids like me yanking on their mouth's, sitting unbalanced, legs bobbling all around, and any other things you know we all looked like when we started riding. I was six when I started riding so at the time I didn't realize they were teaching me something I just knew I was on the back of a horse and I couldn't get that smile off my face. I look back now, as a more experienced equestrian, and I realize that those horses taught me to never forget everyone starts somewhere. I do give some lessons now to beginners and looking at them makes me appreciate those horses that taught me. I think those horses are the horses that make me a better teacher now and they taught me the basics.

As I grew my parents realized that this "horse kick" was going to stick. My first horse was a 16.3 h.h. Quarter horse. I have a picture of little six year old me standing under his neck the first day we brought him home. We bought him from a therapeutic riding program and when my parents told the lady that ran the place he was going to be mine she looked at them and told them they were crazy. Yes they were and they still are, but he was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. He was stubborn, big, and played so many games with me it really was probably unsafe, but I survived! He made me the rider I am today and a better leader. He taught me to never give up and be persistent in anything that you're doing. I could honestly go on and on about this horse, but it could never be enough.

Then came Cutter. My 14.3 h.h. little Quarter horse that taught me everything I need to know about trust. He showed me that trust isn't given it's earned. That trust is something that you have to work hard for and that you have to stay consistent. He's my little peanut and he kept me very safe through the years of learning how to barrel race. We learned the pattern together and taught each other what the heck to do.

Then there was Stinger... I got him when I was 12 years old and he was two. The combination was interesting, but I was ready for the challenge. He was the best colt I could have ever asked for as my first official project that was mine. He taught me that there is going to be good times and the bad times are going to pile up just as much. He is literally my blood, sweat, and tears. He is now nine years old and we are still learning together.

Now there's Fergie. My first mare. My second two year old. And my first firecracker. She is turning out to be quite the little sweetheart until she actually has to work some of that baby weight off. She is my little diva and she lives up to her Fergalicious name. I haven't had her for very long, but she has taught me the idea of peace and coming up with new ideas every day. She has really taught me that sometimes you have to improvise on the spot. Coming up with new training techniques so she understands what I want from her has been a challenge. Combining different methods and watching loads of Youtube videos has been my savior.

http://quotesgram.com/horse-quotes-for-teacher/

So through all these horses I have been blessed with I can see what each and everyone of them have taught me. I see it in my school work, interviewing, leadership positions, and whatever the horse teaches me always gets passed down to the next horse. It really is an interesting bond people have with these great animals, but when you really look deep into it it's not so complex. Until you accept that fact that yes we teach our horses, but really... most of the time they're teaching us more.


With love,

The Modern Equestrian

No comments:

Post a Comment